Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hunter Mountain Hike

This past weekend, for the second year in a row, fourteen of my friends and I stayed at a beautiful vacation house in the Catskill Mountains of New York. As you know, I don't like to ski, so I once again stayed behind while most of the crew hit the slopes. Instead of relaxing in the house, I decided to go on a hike by myself nearby.

This beautiful hike along Diamond Notch to Buttermilk Falls was one of the most peaceful, challenging and beautiful things I've ever experienced. More than two hours passed before I saw another human being and at times the silence was so complete that my ears were ringing. As I ascended the mountain, the snow became deeper and deeper and my trek more arduous; I became out of breath more than a couple of times. I ultimately passed more than a dozen other hikers, and I was the only person that was not equipped with snow shoes. All told, the hike was a little over five miles round trip and it took me about four hours to complete the journey.

Enjoy the photos.

Diamond Notch Trail - Catskills

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the first camp bisco i went to, camp 5, was on hunter! miss you!